Welcome to Crazyoginis

This is the blog of three crazyoginis. We hope to be able to share our love for yoga and our thoughts, ideas and experiences. We wish to spread yoga to all corners of the world, as we truly believe anyone will benefit from practising yoga. The crazyoginis consists of Purna (from Costa Rica) who lives in London, Europe. Rakhi who lives in Mumbai, India and Savitra (from Norway) who lives in Australia.

Saturday 21 May 2011

Lord Shankara chant

I'm currently reading the Autobiography of a Yogi by Paramahansa Yogananda and I really recommend this to any yoga enthutiast! It gives such a good insight into what yoga really is, including historical and philosopical material. Today I was reading about the part when Yogananda becomes a part of the Swami order. There are ten subdivisions of the Swami Order, they are Giri (mountain), Sagara (sea), Bharati (land), Purt (tract), Saraswati (wisdom of Nature), Tirtha (place of pilgrimage) and Aranya (forest). Sri Yogananda belonged to to the Giri Order.

Yogananda sang a chant of Shankara after his Guru, Sri Yukteswar, for the first time pronounced his new name (Yogananda) that was given to him when he became a Swami. One of the verses were given in the book and I really like this verse:

Mind, nor intellect, nor ego, feeling;
Sky nor earth nor metals I am.
I am He, I am He, Blessed Spirit, I am He!
No birth, no death, no caste I have;
Father, mother, have I none.
I am He, I am He, Blessed Spirit, I am He!
Beyond the flights of fancy, formless am I,
Permeating the limbs of all life;
Bondage I do not fear; I am free, ever free,
I am He, I am He, Blessed Spirit, I am He!

No comments:

Post a Comment